Coddled Eggs

Coddled Eggs

Thursday 12 June 2014

...........Taking the BULL by the horns........


If you have ever had the feeling things aren't right but you never seem to put your finger on why you feel out of sorts... my advice is .... don't worry be happy.
 What ever the doubt just leave it .....................The answers always come .

I get gut feelings , nagging doubts , unhappy days when I worry about things totally out of my control and I can have days when I just spend so much time thinking of everyone else I forget to have some me time.

In the last few days I have decided to spent some time  doing something nice that gives me pleasure.

I think when you are a mother , a daughter , a female you tend to nurture those you love and leave little time to nurture yourself. In saying this though I am reminded of how good it feels when I do help out  and it is something I always want to do.


This week saw me busy helping out in the local hospice shop, A new drop in shop has been set up for 3 weeks ...We all hope it will bring in much needed funds to build a hospice ...
really great ski gear This young tourist certainly went away smiling.........

This lovely old retro duster coat reminds me of  "Fried  Green tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe."
I loved the costumes ...I mean,  I loved the movie too even though it was sad I just loved Ruth's character.


look at that sumptuous dress and hat.

I just love her pinny.......and her dress.....





meanwhile back in the Hospice Shop there are bargains to be had...





Tidying the last (this time it really is the last ) of the leaves, The trees are now bare ...Winter has arrived.






I've been doing the accounts , picking up manure for the compost , helping out with the grandchildren (something I always look forward to) and helping friends in need. 
Long overdue visits to special friends and generally doing fix it jobs around home.

I do love reaching out and helping and when it comes to my children and husband I get the rewards back in so many ways....

My poor little grand daughter got a terrible bug and my daughter trying to feed a new baby called on me to help.
It was a wonderful  feeling ,when, the next day I learned the wee tot was 100% over her bug and I got the most lovely thank you letter from my daughter. Makes it all worthwhile.

My son called round to help cut up a tree whose branch fell, he cut, I mulched . The children stayed inside and watched cartoons . 
We then all shared a lovely meal of  soup and cheese toasts .The fire was blazing and as the evening set in we curled up on the sofa and together watched The Waterhorse.



The man of the house will be most impressed when he returns............



I dropped into a friend and had the most delicious lunch of  Vichyssoise . We had a walk around her amazing garden and I was given a wonderful birthday present.
as well as the chook she gave me the bright red chillies so I could make a chilli paste.....but they are so pretty  I don't want to use them .....yet......

Most consider vichyssoise to be a classic cold French soup although some believe it was invented in New York City at the Ritz Carlton. Regardless, this potato and leek soup remains a true classic with simply wonderful flavor.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 40 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 pounds potatoes (waxy variety), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 4 medium leeks (about 3 pounds), washed very well and sliced very thin, use white part only
  • 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
  • 4 cups chicken broth, water, or milk
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 tablespoon of finely chopped chives, for garnish


The rest of the week has been hectic to say the least with a  long overdue visit to Dunedin Hospital . All was forgiven when I explained my daughter just had a baby etc etc.
 I stayed with a very very dear friend ...she too is an amazingly good cook .

I was served Salmon with a garlic, avocado and  parsley cream a fresh green salad and the most delicious  corn fritters.
Her home overlooks the harbour and most days a huge ship or a super long ferry boat will cruise past the window. It always looks peaceful looking at the water over her cottage garden, this time there were no liners but  little blue  pansy's were blowing in the breeze .


...
Aotearoa The Land of the Long White Cloud


I will have to tell you about the trip home .It really was amazing because I took some me time and made lots of great stops discovered some awesome shops ...an old church and a nature walk .....
Lots more to tell you.


In the meantime I am happy to be home with all the leaves gone ....
and Winter  at my door.



Please stay tuned  and in the meantime wrap up warm or have a soak in a bath steaming hot  and  scented with lavender oil.
“Nothing burns like the cold.” 
― George R.R. MartinA Game of Thrones











No comments :

Post a Comment